When you start on your journey to Ithaca,
then pray that the road is long,
full of adventure, full of knowledge.
Do not fear the Lestrygonians
and the Cyclopes and the angry Poseidon.
You will never meet such as these on your path,
if your thoughts remain lofty, if a fine
emotion touches your body and your spirit.
You will never meet the Lestrygonians,
the Cyclopes and the fierce Poseidon,
if you do not carry them within your soul,
if your soul does not raise them up before you.
Then pray that the road is long.
That the summer mornings are many,
that you will enter ports seen for the first time
with such pleasure, with such joy!
Stop at Phoenician markets,
and purchase fine merchandise,
mother-of-pearl and corals, amber and ebony,
and pleasurable perfumes of all kinds,
buy as many pleasurable perfumes as you can;
visit hosts of Egyptian cities,
to learn and learn from those who have knowledge.
Always keep Ithaca fixed in your mind.
To arrive there is your ultimate goal.
But do not hurry the voyage at all.
It is better to let it last for long years;
and even to anchor at the isle when you are old,
rich with all that you have gained on the way,
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches.
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.
Without her you would never have taken the road.
But she has nothing more to give you.
And if you find her poor, Ithaca has not defrauded you.
With the great wisdom you have gained, with so much experience,
you must surely have understood by then what Ithacas mean.
—Constantine Cavafy, The Complete Poems of Cavafy, tr. Rae Dalven (London: The Hogarth Press Ltd., 1961).
This poem appeared in PARABOLA, Volume 9, Number 3: Pilgrimage.
Image: Paul Landacre, Laguna Cove, 1935.
112 Notes/ Hide
- kraanajuht likes this
- honeyrococo reblogged this from outopie and added:
- honeyrococo likes this
- orplid likes this
- flickering-light612 reblogged this from parabola-magazine
- nirvikalpasamadhi likes this
- learningnewshit reblogged this from parabola-magazine
- sinopatientwolf reblogged this from miamou
- sinopatientwolf likes this
- cafedaki likes this
- superfluidity likes this
- sisterpearl likes this
- jomul7 likes this
- berezina likes this
- way-on-clouds likes this
- timaeustestified likes this
- nikkisanjuan likes this
- churchofpoetry likes this
- dianebluegreen reblogged this from arsvitaest
- andoniss reblogged this from arsvitaest
- anotherword likes this
- yama-bato likes this
- engelart likes this
- jjmindmooch reblogged this from andrej33
- thelandofmonsterscomics likes this
- daftmongrel likes this
- ybb55 likes this
- andrej33 reblogged this from chasingtailfeathers
- randomblips likes this
- silentmermaids reblogged this from journalofanobody and added:
- kayurafii reblogged this from svaha3
- orjorjor likes this
- svaha3 reblogged this from parabola-magazine
- svaha3 likes this
- iffranco reblogged this from antelucanhourglass
- memoryepsilon likes this
- sightofthetombs likes this
- catgwynn likes this
- stephencbird likes this
- queenoftheborrowedlighter reblogged this from brighteyedbeast
- nellavig reblogged this from journalofanobody
- nellavig likes this
- afterthenight likes this
- native-traveler reblogged this from brighteyedbeast
- brighteyedbeast reblogged this from journalofanobody
- nimbus-like likes this
- gwranda likes this
- tea77green likes this
- joyforachel likes this